- New Estrella Damm can lands in UK in time for summer
- Rik Mayall Statement
- Charles Wells announced as headline sponsor for biggest Ampthill Festival yet!
- Charles Wells Dogfish Head DNA shortlisted in the International Beer Awards 2014
- Bombardier Beer tops 100,000 Facebook fans
- Wells Banana Bread Beer Launches The Breadettes Tour in the USA
- Bombardier calls on pubs to join the campaign and help make St George’s Day a Bank Holiday
- New Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale goes on sale in UK supermarkets
- Charles Wells bring two new beers to Craft Beer Rising
- Charles Wells reduces debt in year of steady progress
- Estrella Damm goes on sale at UK’s best restaurant
- Bedford Beer Giveaway at Blues New Year Game
- New Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale goes on sale across North America
- Estrella Damm launches FC Barcelona on pack promotion
- Estrella Damm launches new 660ml bottle
- Bombardier sponsors Ashes cricket coverage on talkSPORT
- Wells & Young’s Expands Scottish Team to increase focus on McEwan’s and Younger’s brands
- Wells & Young’s announce proposal for organisational restructure
- Wells & Young’s pledges support for Cask Ale Week
- Wells & Young’s statement on Industrial action by Unite members at KNDL on-trade distribution network
- DNA New World IPA makes a comeback for September as Wells & Young’s continue to shake up seasonal ale programme
- McEwan’s Red kicks off summer sampling campaign
- Kirin Ichiban launches revolutionary new frozen beer
- Bombardier hosts cricket fan event with Matthew Hoggard in Manchester this week!
- Wells & Young’s unveils plans for Great British Beer Festival 2013!
- Wells & Young’s unveils rebrand for Young’s beer range
- Wells & Young’s Launches Hummingbird Seasonal Ale
- Premium Japanese lager Kirin Ichiban rolls out biggest ever UK sampling campaign for summer
- Estrella Damm embarks on £3.5m UK marketing campaign
- McEwan’s Red rolls onto screens during football final weekend
- New deal sees premium Japanese lager, Kirin Ichiban listed at YO! Sushi restaurants nationwide
- Bombardier beer announces partnerships with The Barmy Army and The Bunburys
- Bombardier beer and The Gorringe Park pub lead the charge for St George’s Day celebrations!
- Wells & Young’s builds on the future of Scottish ale with the launch of McEwan’s Red
- Kirin Ichiban and wagamama celebrate success in National Noodle Month promotion
- Bombardier blasts back onto mainstream TV in the run up to St George’s Day
- Charles Wells and Dogfish Head Launch International Craft Beer Collaboration
- Bombardier Salutes Comedy as the Official Sponsor of the National Funny Fokkers Comedy Tour for RAF Troops
- Revived, historic brew Courage Imperial Russian Stout makes long-awaited return to the UK
- Retro Scottish beer makes a popular comeback as Wells & Young’s revives Younger’s Tartan Special in can format
- Forget flowers, Kirin Ichiban sends out a Beer Bro-K, the ultimate Valentine’s gift for beer lovers!
- Wells & Young’s new Airman’s Ale to be served in military bars across the UK
- Charles Wells results show period of transition has laid the foundation for growth
- Bedfordshire MPs urged to show support for local beer and pub trade
- Charles Wells staff turn up the heat in charity firewalk
- Wells and Young's in Kestrel negotiations with Nigel McNally
- Wells & Young’s launches new Young’s advertising campaign to drive consumers back into the pub
- Phil Toms appointed Director of Brands at Wells and Young’s Brewing Co Ltd
- Wells Eagle Supporting Local Community Events
- Charles Wells Achieves Recognition for International Performance
- Wells & Young's Reveals Risby to Drive Sales of Iconic Scottish Brands
- Bedford Pubs Host the Eagle Ale Trail
- Save Your Pint - Sign The Beer Tax E-petition
- Wells and Young’s Brew Celebratory Birthday Beer for Keech Hospice Care
- Courage Directors "Make an Executive Decision"
- Estrella Damm is a hit on UK shores!
- Bombardier Advertising Hits Record Spend
- BOMBARDIER BEER LAUNCHES BANG ON! GUIDE TO FISHING
- Charles Wells Ltd placed in league for Top 250 Private Companies
- Wells and Young's hires following axquisition of McEwan's and Younger's ale brands
- WELLS AND YOUNG’S ACQUIRES McEWAN’S AND YOUNGER’S
- HISTORIC BREW BROUGHT BACK TO LIFE
- 'New cask drinkers offer lifeline' to struggling pubs
- BOMBARDIER BEER LAUNCHES BANG ON! GUIDE TO COOKING
- Charles Wells Ltd purchases 40% stake in Wells & Young’s Brewing Company Limited from Young and Co PLC
- Estrella Damm unveils elegant new bottle design
- Wells and Young's Gear Up for the Great British Beer Festival
- Bombardier Beer Launches Bang On! Guide to Golf
- Only the Best for Courage
- Estrella Damm reveals ‘pop-up’ gastronomic experience at ‘Taste of London’ festival
- Gold Rush for Wells and Young's
- Bombardier Beer Launches £4Million Marketing Communications Campaign
- Wells and Young's host European Beer Bloggers Convention
- Winner announced in Bombardier Beer Writing Competition
- Call for freeze on beer duty
- Firewalk for Charity
- Wells and Young's comment on Kirin Ichiban, Japan
- The Great English Knees Up
- £2,000 up for grabs in writing competition
- Wells and Young's Product Recall
- Push for Young's Bottle Conditioned Ales
- Wells and Young's Appoints Karmarama
- Charles Wells Ltd Results
- It's MO Joke as Wells and Young's celebrates Movember
- Jingle Ale the Way with Bombareindeer
- Eagle Beer Makes Its Mark At The Bedford Blues
- Ask The Brewer Part 1
- Estrella Damm Launches Cinema Adverts
- Wells and Young's Announcement
- Wells and Young's support for Keech
- Chatterbox Britain - Brits Spend Four and a Half Hours A Day in Conversation
- Young's Ram Rod makes a return to Cask
- Wells and Young's Accredit Supply Chain to ensure Best Cask Beer Quality
- Bedford's Beer Eagle swoops in for success
- Courage Appoints Boom
- Pubs Come Top in Poll of Englishness
- Young's Beers Triumph in Marketing Awards
- Bombardier Reveals Biggest Ad Campaign
- Red Stripe Launches Major Digital Push on Last.FM
- Wells and Young's is First Stop for Tory Campaign Trail
- Young's Launches £0.5 million campaign
- The Publican Awards 2010: Winners revealed
- Estrella Damm Joins Wells And Young's Speciality Beer Portfolio
- Biggest ever campaign to encourage responsible drinking announced
- Bombardier Poster Campaign Triumphs in National Ad Awards
- New Bombardier Can Completes Off-Trade Range
- Wells and Young's Add Weight to Licensed Charity Golf Tournament
- Wells and Youngs Celebrate Cask Ale Week
- Young's Launches New Beer for Cask Ale Week
- Banana Bread Beer Heads to Korea
HISTORIC BREW BROUGHT BACK TO LIFE
30th September 2011
Courage Imperial Russian Stout, a beer last brewed in London in 1982, has been recreated by Wells and Young’s head brewer, Jim Robertson, who last crafted the beer in Horselydown, London.
The beer, which has become an iconic and much sought after brew, is being officially launched at the Great American Beer Festival at the renowned Falling Rock Taphouse, Denver, on the 30th September.
The beer has been maturing since May this year and Robertson admits brewing the iconic beer has been a joy. He says: “I was one of the last brewers to produce this beer in London and it has been an honour, a privilege and, I must admit, a labour of love for me. This beer is a real test of my abilities as a brewer – it uses a large amount of raw ingredients and brewing the beer in an automated brewery has been a real challenge. But I’m incredibly happy with the final brew, and can not wait to share it with people at the launch.”
The 10% ABV beer, which is set to be produced yearly by Wells and Young’s, will be available in the US initially, but beer lovers in the UK need not worry as there are plans to make Courage Imperial Russian Stout more widely available in 2012.
Leading beer journalist Melissa Cole has been working closely with Jim and was instrumental in persuading Jim to take on the challenge to brew this iconic beer again. She says: “This beer is as steeped in history as it is in flavour, and I'm thrilled to be just a small part of its story because I personally know of at least three professional brewers that this beer inspired to get into the industry, that's how amazing it is.
"I can't wait to hear what people think of it because Jim has done such a great job of re-creating the unique flavour fingerprint of Courage Imperial Russian Stout, which is so indulgent it should almost be illegal!"
Russian Imperial Stout is a strong dark stout dating back to the 18th century when it was produced at Thrale’s Brewery in London to export to the court of Catherine II of Russia. The high alcoholic strength was necessary to prevent the beer from freezing in the temperatures of the Baltic Sea on its voyage to Russia and along with a high degree of hop it has the keeping quality of a fine wine.
In 1791 the brewery changed hands and the beer became known as Barclay Perkins Imperial Stout. When the brewery was taken over by local rivals Courage the beer was renamed Courage Imperial Russian Stout.
Wells and Young’s Brewing Company acquired the Courage brands in 2007 with Jim Robertson overseeing the transfer of Courage Best and Directors to the brewery in Bedford.
Courage Imperial Russian Stout has a rich, espresso body with pear overtones and an intriguing fresh, smoky, fruity finish. The beer is brewed with chocolate, amber and pale ale malts, Hersbrucker and Styrian Goldings hops and accredited natural mineral water from the brewery’s very own well.
Jim adds: “Although the beer has been maturing since May 2011, if you really have the patience and the willpower, it is best to let the beer mature in the bottle for up to thirteen years!”